For bloggers, by bloggers: The Awesome Blogger Award is a little something something to spread the word (see what I did there) about all the wordsmiths spreading travel wanderlust en-masse. We nominate each other and propose a series of questions for people to get to know us better, beyond our FAQs pages. It’s also a way to pat ourselves on the back for all our hard work: blogging is much more than taking pretty pictures while forever on holiday. Trust me.
WHAT IS THE AWESOME BLOGGER AWARD?
This award was created by Miss Maggie over at Dreaming of Guatemala and she says:
This is an award for the absolutely wonderful writers all across the blogging world. They have beautiful blogs, are kind and lovely, and always find a way to add happiness and laughter to the lives of their readers. That is what truly defines an awesome blogger.
RULES OF THIS AWARD
- Thank the person who nominated you & include the reason behind the award.
- Tag it under #awesomebloggeraward in the Reader.
- Answer the questions your nominator gave you.
- Nominate at least 5 awesome bloggers.
- Give your nominees 10 new questions to answer.
- Let your nominees know that they’ve been nominated!
I have been nominated by the ethereally-classy Lara from Miss Portmanteau. Lara and I met at a bloggers event in London organised by Girl vs. Globe, and got along like a house on fire, only to realise that not only did we both go to the same high school in The Netherlands, but we shared dozens of mutual friends and missed meeting each other by a hairline. Lara perennially inspires me and (invokes serious pangs of jealousy) with her mouth-watering restaurant reviews and infinity pool visits.
1. If you could be born at any time of your choosing, past, present of future, when would that be and why?
I was actually born in the 80s, but I would have loved to be old enough to enjoy more of the era’s fabulous pop music in a discotheque, à la The Smiths and Tears for Fears. Those Miami-vice style high cut swimsuits were also a thing.
2. What’s your favourite movie and why?
I never tire of Bring it On and Mean Girls. My sister and I can quote both movies almost entirely by heart. They remind me of the good old days when our toughest decisions were what we were going to wear on a Friday night. The latter also brought some #MotivationalMonday quotes to the fore, which are wholly applicable today. “Don’t let the haters stop you doing your thang”.
3. What is the one thing you cannot live without?
Given my current fixation, I would say my passport.
4. What is your dream job?
I am lucky and thrilled to say that I am currently doing it- travelling to decadent, sun-drenched destinations and writing about it.
5. Who is the most important person in your life?
My older sister, Suzy.
6. What do you love most about travel?
There is nothing that restores my belief in myself, and my faith in the world like travel does.
7. What was your most epic holiday like?
The most epic holiday I ever had consisted of a few days in Miami for Spring Break and Ultra Music Festival with my crazy Venezuelan/ Belgian friend Athena. We were doing cartwheels at Nikki Beach when her phone fell out of her pocket. Some sticky fingered opportunist took it and she left an absurd amount of messages on it pleading for the bandit to return it safely. Two days (and about two hundred messages) later, said pickpocket agreed to meet for for lunch to give it back after she offered to pay for his meal. Thereafter, I flew to Honolulu for more Spring Break adventures and witnessed my first rainbow sunset over the Pacific on a boat off Waikiki Beach.
8. What’s the scariest thing you’ve ever done?
Putting my life in storage and moving to a new country on my own.
9. Kindle or paperback?
Kindle means I don’t have to choose only two books to fit into my luggage for an entire trip, however I do love the feeling of opening up a fresh page.
10. Weirdest thing you ever ate?
People think it’s weird that I enjoy beef tongue, but its actually a delicacy in many countries.
MY AWESOME BLOGGER NOMINATIONS:
Eight fabulous bloggers and vloggers I respect, admire, and would love to nominate are:
- Andrea from Its a Travel O.D. (this girl is hilarious)
- Sabina from Girl vs. Globe (for general awesomeness)
- Brenna from This Battered Suitcase (I finally got your name right, sorry!)
- Camille from This American Girl (you inspired my very first trip to Central America)
- Jodie from Hoff to Explore (I hope you keep jetting ‘hoff’ somewhere)
- Steph B. from Travel Break (for letting me know “this life” was possible)
- Kate from Adventurous Kate (for that article on toxic masculinity)
- Gloria from The Blog Abroad (for your untameable smile)
AND HERE ARE MY QUESTIONS TO YOU:
- What is the strangest thing someone has said to you while travelling?
- What has your experience with catcalling been, both at home and away?
- If you were trying to convince someone to travel more, what would you say to them?
- Which is your favourite beach and why?
- Which city is dearest to you?
- Where in the world do you currently call home (if anywhere)?
- Have you ever felt utterly lost in a negative way?
- Who in your life fills you with the most inspiration?
- Which hidden gem have you visited that you absolutely recommend?
- If the world was your oyster and you could live anywhere, where would you choose?